During the holidays our homes are filled with seasonal decorations, guests, and more often than not fires in the fireplace, wood stoves alight, perhaps even space heaters.
Our holiday meals include plenty of baking and pots slow cooking on the stove top.
Among the chaos and confusion of these overflowing days fire safety should be a priority.
We have complied a list of links, websites and blogs to help you stay safe this holiday season.
Top 5 things to be aware of:
- Christmas trees should be set a safe distance from any source of heat.
- Never block fire exits with your Christmas tree or other decorations.
- Never leave anything cooking unattended.
- Turn pot handles inward to keep them out of range of little hands and reduce the risk of catching them and knocking them over.
- Never leave a space heater on unattended or when sleeping.
For more safety tips (including video) check out some our favorite links:
- Safety At Home: Avoid Hazards In The Home
- US Fire Administration: Holiday Fire Safety
- National Fire Protection Association: Christmas Tree Fires (video)